[mythtv-users] Frontend Setup Problem

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Feb 1 21:26:05 UTC 2007

David Lynam wrote:
> Hi,
> Ive got a backend/frontend goin on a single machine and also have a
> frontend setup. The frontend is connecting to the database fine where I
> can see channel listings and stuff however when I go to watch live TV it
> give me the error " is backend running" or "check IP address" now I have
> stopped the backend and restarted it and still no joy. This error does
> not appear on the combined single machine and I can watch live Tv no
> problem.

The two most common causes are that you are connecting to
a second, local database on the second machine or the
master IP address is set to 127.0.0.1.

Any remote machines have to connect to the same database
as the master is in order to be part of the same cluster.
When you start the remote frontend, it will show a message:

<time> Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: <hostname>

Make sure this is the same DB host as your master.

If not, you need to edit ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt and set the master
database to allow remote connections.

If so, run mythtv-setup on the master and check in General that
the "Master Server IP address" is the real address that the
remote machine can use to contact the master mythbackend.

--  bjm