[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 10:43:17 UTC 2007

> 2) I can't get the program guide info to load at all. If I go to System
> status, Listings Status, I can see:
> "Failed xmltv returned error codes" and a bit more that goes off the
> screen. Then beneath
> "Have you run mythfilldatabase
> WARNING: is mythfilldatabase running?"
>
> I have tried exiting and running mythfilldatabase, but I guess it's not
> that easy.
> I assume it would be helpful to look at a log or something here. Where
> can I find what would be helpful?

Well you could run xmltv by hand in a terminal window.  I presume
you're using tv_grab_uk_rt?

I think it's:

tv_grab_uk_rt --configure

to choose which channels you want to grab, and then just run it and
see what comes up on the screen.  You could then set it to capture to
a file and manually run mythfilldatabase on that file.

Of course you don't need to use mythfilldatabase.  The EIT (over the
air tv guide) in the UK is reasonable.  Just select this option for
each channel in the channel setup screen under mythtvsetup and in
about quarter of an hour you should find you tv guide has been
magically populated.

Having said that, I find the tv_grab_uk_rt data is better (and it's
for 14 days rather than about 7) so I have selectively disabled EIT
for the major channels and configured xmltv to grab these.

HTH