[mythtv-users] SPDIF Brackets building them for sale

David Fishburn dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 20:21:46 UTC 2007

I was wondering if converting a 12-pin connector to a 4-pin connector
would be difficult?

I mistakenly purchased this (since the site listed it under the ASUS
M2NPV motherboard):
SOLTEK SL-02KIT 6CHANNEL SOUND CONNECTORS SPDIF IN/OUT / AUDIO OUT

Unfornutately, it has a 12 pin connector, not a 4 pin connector.
Since the unit has everything I need, what I want to do is convert it
to a 4 pin connector.  I found an old CDROM cable (4 pin) but now I
just need to figure out which pins to connect.

I also found this post about building your own 12 pin connector:
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?page=4&t=213388

Which basically says this:
*********
            Label one of your leads "ground" and one of them SPDIF in/out and
            simply solder the bare ends to your RCA sockets as follows.

            As one lead will be dedicated to ground - the pin socket will
            attach to pins 12 & 14

            The other lead you will have to pay more attention to to make sure
            you get the SPDIF out and SPDIF in sockets labelled correctly - its
            best to use a lead with 2 different colored wires for this so its
            easy to tell which socket is in and out. This lead will attach to
            pins 11 & 13.

            Then you just need to take your blank expansion slot cover and
            drill a couple of holes in it for your RCA sockets to protrude
            through - tighten them up and correctly label your in/out on the
            outside.

            I actually used an old slot cover which had a hole in for a DB25
            socket (parallel port) as the RCA sockets fit into each end of the
            gap nicely, but it leaves a small gap open in the middle.

            Enable the SPDIF out option in your sound control app and it should
            work!!
*********

So I just need to figure out which pins to connect.

TIA,
Dave