[mythtv-users] Upnp Xbox 360 and videos showing up under the music selection

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 15:48:33 UTC 2007

On Dec 31, 2007 10:33 AM, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:

> > describe.  However,  I have sub folders in my
> > MythVideo section on my backend and only see those
> > listed on my XBox.  I do not see any of the movies
> > that exist on the root of my video folder. Is this the
>
>  What are the file names? The Xbox360 explicity ignores any files with a
> .mpg, .iso, .mkv and a few other names.
>
>  Basically if it's not .avi, .wmv or .mp4 it wont even show it in the
> list.
>

> > Secondly, are we going to be able to see the tv shows
> > that we have recorded on our backend?  I did like to
>
>  No. According to MS's own faq on xbox.com the Xbox360 Videoplayer will
> NOT
> play mpeg2 content. Only the MCE extender portion will do that. And we
> know it will not handle out .nuv format.
>
>  At some point some sort of live transcoding of mpeg2->wmv or something
> might be an option, but for now it's not.

I've had luck with Tversity auto-transcoding some MPEG2 on the fly to a
format my 360 can display but I haven't tested it that thoroughly (and
haven't tried .NUV yet). TVersity is Windows only unfortunately so you'd
need another machine or at least a VM to serve the uPNP stuff and mount your
video directory via that Windows box.