[mythtv-users] 802.11n for a frontend?

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Mon Dec 31 02:59:52 UTC 2007

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Remco Treffkorn wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 December 2007, John D. Friesen wrote:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> I finally setup a system to run Myth on. I used a nice case, designed
> >> for multimedia PCs, fanless video card, and a fairly quiet (although not
> >> fanless) power supply. However, my wife is very sensitive to noise, and
> >> even though I hardly noticed it, it started giving her a headache. So,
> >> if I want to setup Myth, I'm now left with having to setup a backend
> >> machine, and a completely silent frontend. The problem, is that I can't
> >> physically get network cabling to where our TV is, it has to be
> >> wireless. I don't see 802.11g cutting it (although correct me if I'm
> >> wrong), so I'm wondering if any of the 802.11n cards work with Linux
> >> yet?
> >
> > Feel corrected! 802.11g works very well even for HD content.
> >
> > I am sure there are ways to make it work "un-well", but you would have to
> > work at it. Like have a number of 802.11b stations connected to the same
> > AP.
> >
> > If you dedicate an AP for the connection to your FE, you will not have a
> > problem.
>
> That is true if you are in a location where neighbors cannot disturb
> your signal. If you are in a USA city, with free-standing houses, this
> is likely true. If in another country (Like almost anywhere in Europe
> (houses build close to each other), or NY city (generally: apartment
> buildings) this is  most likely not true.
>
> One of the problems of 11g is that there are only 3 non-overlapping
> channels. If you are within reach of several neighbors, you tend to get
> disturbance from them.....

I operate two independent APs in my own house on channel 6 and 10. Currently
my laptop can only see my closest neighbor on channel 1. Upstairs I get two
more APs from other neighbors.

All the houses around are here wood frame with drywall and stucco.

When I lived in Germany, our house was made from brick and pretty opaque for
2.4 GHz.

Unless you can cite hard data, I will have to disagree with you.

Again: Most people will not have a problem.

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)
HAM DC2XT