[mythtv-users] 802.11n for a frontend?

John D. Friesen john at frieware.com
Mon Dec 31 00:20:06 UTC 2007

Remco Treffkorn wrote:
> On Saturday 29 December 2007, John D. Friesen wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I finally setup a system to run Myth on. I used a nice case, designed for
>> multimedia PCs, fanless video card, and a fairly quiet (although not
>> fanless) power supply. However, my wife is very sensitive to noise, and
>> even though I hardly noticed it, it started giving her a headache. So, if I
>> want to setup Myth, I'm now left with having to setup a backend machine,
>> and a completely silent frontend. The problem, is that I can't physically
>> get network cabling to where our TV is, it has to be wireless. I don't see
>> 802.11g cutting it (although correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm wondering if
>> any of the 802.11n cards work with Linux yet?
>>

> Feel corrected! 802.11g works very well even for HD content.
>
> I am sure there are ways to make it work "un-well", but you would have to work
> at it. Like have a number of 802.11b stations connected to the same AP.
>
> If you dedicate an AP for the connection to your FE, you will not have a
> problem.

That is true if you are in a location where neighbors cannot disturb
your signal. If you are in a USA city, with free-standing houses, this
is likely true. If in another country (Like almost anywhere in Europe
(houses build close to each other), or NY city (generally: apartment
buildings) this is  most likely not true.

One of the problems of 11g is that there are only 3 non-overlapping
channels. If you are within reach of several neighbors, you tend to get
disturbance from them.....

Cheers,

Rudy