[mythtv-users] Confused about secondary backend storage - howto use it (trunk)?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Dec 30 21:13:39 UTC 2007

On Dec 30, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> * On Sun Dec 30, 2007 at 06:50:53PM +0000, Jose Bernardo Silva wrote:
>> Thanks a lot! This cleared up most doubts for me. There are just a
>> couple left:
>> - why NFS? My (small scale) tests have shown it to be approximately
>> the same speed as CIFS (samba), and samba seems safer to me;
>
> 'cause I'm a *nix guy.  No windows here in my house currently so no
> samba.
> You could use either, but I'd do some research on the mailing list
> before I
> made a decision if I were you.

I use NFS between my backends and SMB on my NAS box since it doesn't
offer NFS. I had to tweak the nas box to send big packets (over
gigabit) and I had to tweak nfs settings a bunch according to the
wiki. I'm still not thrilled with the throughput but, they're both
very usable. I don't think it matters much with the right settings.
Unfortunately, they both seem to default to like lots of small files
instead of few huge ones.