[mythtv-users] DVB-C and mythTV : @home Netherlands

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sun Dec 30 16:45:01 UTC 2007

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Gert van der Knokke wrote:
> The sound problem could be the channels that have Dolby Digital sound
> (some German channels have this).

That may be, but I guess it must be possible to play this too. Perhaps it's
just routed to the wrong output of my soundcard for some reason (?).

> What did you spend for this card/ci adapter/ci interface ?

I believe it was somewhere around 140 Euro for the card + CI module and
another 80-90 for the Alphacrypt CAM.

> I have looked around and found Alternate has the DVB-C Plus version of
> the KNC card but I guess I need the Cineview adapter too and the CI
> interface (is that the Alphacrypt?) Still the total cost are way beyond
> 200 Euros for a single tuner setup.

You'd need that DVB-C Plus card and the CI card. The alphcrypt CAM is also
needed and fits into the CI card. The card you have from @home fits into the
alphacrypt.
So far I've had little trouble with it although switching channels is a bit
slow and some channels having no sound (maybe can be resolved).
All channels have good quality and recordings are excellent as well.

> I have been fiddling with a Siemens M750C which has dual tuner
> capability to act as a (dual) tuner for Myth, it produces through
> network or USB2 a bunch of MPEG2 parts which can be stitched together to
> a single MPEG2 file. Only thing to find out is how to control this
> device. Maybe it can be done with lirc.

It has a remote control, so you change channels using an IR blaster :
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV

I have used a similar setup to control my external @home box and record
through my analog PVR-350.

> These sets are available for less than 100 Euros and are (more or less)
> supported by TV-Home, so if it works it is a bargain!
> I know stability isn't its greatest strengtht (although it runs Linux
> internally) but I figured if I can remotely switch it on and off
> (klikaanklikuit for example) and start/stop recording and change channel
> (through lirc) it might be usable.

That should be possible. If you can manage to store the recordings on your
network (which is possible according to the it's manual) you can even have
them show up in mythtv's video list directly.

regards,
Marcel