[mythtv-users] OT: Denon AV Receiver Serial Port Protocol

Jeremy Green jaggroups at brownout.com
Sun Dec 30 15:23:23 UTC 2007

I have a denon avr-4306.  It does the serial protocol and it also does
telnet and http.
I wrote a quick perl script to control it.  The telnet interface
didn't seem as reliable so I used the web interface.
I now have it set up so that when you push the "PC Power" button on my
MCE remote it turns on the receiver, switches the source and sets the
volume to a reasonable level.  I also made the mute button work.
The one thing that I have been wanting to do is make the volume
changes show up on the TV.  I was hoping that I could use Myth OSD to
display the normal volume slider when the volume is set on the
receiver.  The telnet/serial interface is nice enough to report when
the volume changes.  I had a quick script up that just displayed a box
with the volume setting but it was kind of ugly.  The slider would
have been nicer.

Anyway, the serial interface has potential.  I think it's a little
easier to use the web interface if the receiver has it.

				-Jeremy