[mythtv-users] how often are mythTV-related RPM's updated for new kernels? - use CentOS

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Fri Dec 28 23:08:57 UTC 2007

sdkovacs wrote:
> Yes, but you are better off going with Fedora 8 (or CentOS).

I would second the CentOS suggestion.  I abandoned the Fedora line
shortly after Fedora Core 5 became EOLed.  I was tired of trying to keep
up with 6 month Fedora release cycle.  RHEL/CentOS is on a longer 2+
year cycle.

I am using CentOS 5 with my MythTV using Wilson's tutorial.  The only
changes you will need to make are:

1. Use the RHEL 5 ATrpms "stable" repository.  (RHEL 5 and CentOS 5 are
binary compatible) You will also want to enable the "testing" repository
temporarily as there are 3 or 4 updated packages you will need from
there to get it to work.  (You can just manually download those 4
packages if you don't want to enable the whole "testing" repository).

2. Use the FreshRPMs FC6 repository (Since FC6 is what feeds RHEL 5 it
should be generally compatible for what you'll need for MythTV).  This
will require a minor change to the freshrpms.repo file, as the $version
variable will resolve to 5, so simply replace it with a solid 6 instead.

Kenneth