[mythtv-users] Shutdown check (a few more things please)

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Fri Dec 28 09:08:19 UTC 2007

On 28/12/2007, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2007, at 4:12 PM, glenhawk at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anyway to modify the
> > shutdown check script (shown below) to check for a desktop login as
> > well as a MythTV client login?

First of all, do you mean check for remote mythtv clients connected to
the backend?

> Find something that runs when you're logged in, but *only* when you're
> logged in, and grep for it in the output of 'ps ax'.  I use kdesktop.

Checking your TTY is the best, for example:

nikdoof at mythtv ~ $ w
 09:02:57 up 3 days, 19:50,  2 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.10, 0.09
USER     TTY        LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
mythtv   tty1      Mon13    3days 43:29   0.00s -bash
nikdoof  pts/0     09:02    0.00s  0.00s  0.00s w

Remote user is logged into pts/0, standard pseudo terminal, where as
the actual mythfrontend on this shared front/backend is running a X
session and logged into tty1.

If your login is managed by xdm/kdm/gdm then when your on the inital
login screen it will not create a login session, and therefore not
showing the "w" listings.

---
Andrew Williams
w: http://nikdoof.net