[mythtv-users] Static IP vs. DHCP

Carl Reynolds mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com
Wed Dec 26 16:37:53 UTC 2007

John Drescher wrote:

> On Dec 26, 2007 11:10 AM, Carl Reynolds
>
>>   <snip...>
>>
>> I decided to try
>>entering the backend server name instead of the IP address in the server
>>address in myth-setup. It seems to work.
>>

> I believe it is because mythtv-setup takes a numerical ip address and
> if your ip address changes you will not be able to connect. I have
> been using DHCP for years but my dhcp server never gives my machines
> different ip addresses (as long as I keep the router always powered)
> so all is well. I have a $100 PCM 1000VA ups that powers this as well
> as my master backend.
>
> John

Hi John,
Thanks for your response. Actually the setup program will accept the
server name or the IP. Maybe the reason everyone says to use a static IP
is that the guides all say that you need to use one, so everyone assumes
the setup program won't accept the server name. I set up my system with
the server name and it seems to work fine, so maybe it's just that no
one had tried using the name before.

I do sometimes see a pause in the video when watching LiveTV, but
assumed that was caused by noise in the signal. I suppose it could be
that the extra time to get the IP from the DHCP server is causing a
delay, but I doubt it.

Thanks,
Carl.