[mythtv-users] Static IP vs. DHCP

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 16:22:30 UTC 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 11:10 AM, Carl Reynolds
<mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com> wrote:
> There is another thread on the list about setting up server IPs and the
> common advice on th list and in the guides is that the backend should be
> set up on a local network with static IPs.
>
> When I first set up my machine, I followed this advice, but because of
> various reasons, I needed to change my network to DHCP. I decided to try
> entering the backend server name instead of the IP address in the server
> address in myth-setup. It seems to work. The frontend sends a request to
> the DHCP server, gets the IP address of the backend server and then uses
> that to communicate with the backend.
>
> What am I missing? Why do people say that you need to use static IPs
> with a split frontend/backend configuration? Is it because of the extra
> time needed to make the IP request from the DHCP server?

I believe it is because mythtv-setup takes a numerical ip address and
if your ip address changes you will not be able to connect. I have
been using DHCP for years but my dhcp server never gives my machines
different ip addresses (as long as I keep the router always powered)
so all is well. I have a $100 PCM 1000VA ups that powers this as well
as my master backend.

John