[mythtv-users] New nVidia 169.07 and interlace changes?

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Wed Dec 26 00:25:30 UTC 2007

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> I just installed the new 169.07 versioned driver (it is now on
> atrpms), and 2 things I noticed:
>
> 1) it now accepts my 1080i mode (using a custom one that was never
> accepted before)
> 2) all I get is a black screen when I try to play HD content, whether
> using my 720p or 1080i mode
>
> Because of #2, I can't use this new driver.

Just in time... I downloaded and installed from nvidia.com last night.
Oh, well...

In order to build it, I had to upgrade my kernel as sources for my
kernel were no longer available.  After upgrading kernel and installing
from Nvidia's .run file, I can view all content on my GeForce 7600 GS
(x86_64).  I run a 17" DVI LCD monitor and a 37" VGA LCD TV (single
"display", dual screen, 2 desktops).  All content plays fine on either.
What I did notice, however, was a long delay in VLC when I tried their
"Simple DirectMedia Layer" video output.  It went to a black screen (as
you described) for about 30 seconds while I tried to find a way to kill
the process, then popped up full screen and played well.  Took about as
long to get back to non-full screen where I turned the option off.

What improved for me after the upgrade was a problem I had watching
anything while my 2nd DVB card was recording.  The recording would have
intermittent break-up.  Watching while recording on my other DVB card
caused no problems and recordings made on either (or both) while NOT
watching anything came out fine, too.  After this upgrade, that problem
is gone (YEA!!).

What did not improve is my lack of brightness/contrast/hue controls (no
video overlay).  Drat!  I'm running the 0.21-171_trunk_r14785.fc7
package.  Anyone have any word on when/if we'll ever get that
functionality back?

Also, I used to run a 5200 with legacy drivers on my old AGP system.
With that system, not only did I have brightness/contrast controls, the
video overlay seemed to provide better overall video quality.  What I
have now (several video cards later and still trying/hoping for
improvement to the quality of my 5200) seems to be a lower depth per
pixel; blocky, grainy pictures in low-light and subtle color gradient
screens.  (Depth is set to 24 in xorg.conf).  I'm still hoping for
Nvidia to get their "act" together, but about to try ATI again.  I gave
up years ago on them, but Nvidia's dropping the video overlay and ATI's
being purchased by AMD are both factors that make me want to try again.

DaveD.