[mythtv-users] MythTV - help please!

Tim Scholl tascholl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 20:34:39 UTC 2007

On Dec 25, 2007 3:26 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Dec 25, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Steve Cooke wrote:
>
> > Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> >
> >> It sounds like you need to start from the beginning.
> >> What guide are you following?
> >>

> > Hi Brad,
> >
> > I'm following no one particular guide, as the guides I've used have
> > all
> > left me with unusable installations. The guide I originally followed
> > was:
> > http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
> >
> > This was helpful as far as the kernal changes from memory - we are
> > talking 12 months ago though.
>
> That's a great place to start. Unfortunately, it's hard to help with a
> generic problem like, "It just won't work" or "my installation is
> unusuable". I would recommend starting from scratch. Reformat the
> drive, install the OS again, start at the beginning with the guide and
> when you run into a problem, ask a specific question about that
> particular problem to get you through to the next step.
>
> The problem with guides is that they are just that - a guide. It was
> correct at the time it was written, but software is continually
> changing and what did work before might not work exactly the same way
> now. For instance, I know ivtv commands changed since the time the
> guide you mentioned was written. However, checking the -help for
> command syntax or searching the archives for the error message or
> asking on the list "When I type this command, I get this error. What
> should I do?"
>
> When I started using MythTV a couple of years ago, I started with that
> guide and I ended up reinstalling the OS a couple of times and
> uninstalling/reinstalling all my packages 2-3 times before I got a
> combination that worked. I learned a lot in that process and now
> understand how to resolve dependency issues and how to configure my
> system to do what I want it to do rather than what someone else wanted
> their system to do that I am now copying.
>
> Now that I think about it, the first time I installed, I used
> KnoppMyth because I saw a video about how easy it was to set up. It
> really was. I had it up and running in about 30 minutes after I
> installed and hooked up my PVR-350. If you're getting frustrated with
> setting everything up yourself, try one of the Myth-specific distros
> like KnoppMyth. More popular ones have come along since then like
> Mythbuntu and Mythdora. There are others, but these are the ones I
> hear about the most. There are good discussions about them in the
> archives, as well. Like here:
>
> Stick with it. You will soon learn the joy of turning on your TV and
> browsing through a list of programs you want to see waiting for you on
> demand without commercial interruption. :)

I can "second" the previous posts.  When I start to build my Myth box (over
a year and 1/2 ago)I used KnoppMyth for my first go around and got it
running in a week.

Definitely try one of the complete distros.  You'll have much better luck!
The is a lot of buzz on
Mythbuntu and Mythdora and I hear that they are both good as well.

If you try KnoppMyth this week it will be ready before the new year!
--
Tim