[mythtv-users] Reconnecting an old antenna

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Dec 22 23:06:15 UTC 2007

On Dec 22, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Meatwad wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm. Grounding rods are generally available in 5/8 and 1/2 inch
>> diameters either 8 or 10 feet long. Maybe it's just the region I'm in
>> (Chicago suburbs) but the soil/earth conductivity conditions here
>> call
>> for a minimum of seven feet. If I can't drive it that far, I'll
>> abandon
>> it a send another down.
>
> I'm in Toronto. I'm probably looking at needing something even
> deeper. :/
>
> That's way more effort than I was looking at putting into this. I
> guess
> it was naive of me to think that the tower itself was already
> adequately
> grounded since it already has an antenna on it.

It may or may not have been grounded according to your local code,
depending on who put it in.  The tower's footing may provide some
grounding, as well.

Most antenna installations I've seen are probably not grounded
adequately to withstand a direct strike, but then again direct strikes
are rare unless the antenna is the tallest thing in the area.