[mythtv-users] OT - VGA -> USB - NOT - USB -> VGA

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 20 23:52:23 UTC 2007

On 20 Dec 2007, at 18:28, Brian Wood wrote:
> Any real "server" (as opposed to a PC) generally has a serial port,
> and
> there are many very small devices available that can operate as serial
> terminals.

So are you telling us that you've NEVER had to haul a monitor across
the office to plug it into a server to see what's gone wrong?

There are occasions when you *absolutely* need a monitor, and there's
just no way you can manage without one. Ok, so Windows doesn't count,
and GRUB may operate with a serial-console, but it doesn't need
saying here that there'll be times when you need to enter the BIOS.
Can you change boot options on a LiveCD with a serial-console?
Possibly so, but for every situation we can cover and resolve here
discussing this in an academic debate, there's a SNAFU waiting to
ensnare us in the real world.

I guess I'm just saying that something like is just another tool in
the toolbox, and if you were to try the DRAC4 hardware-VNC unit
installed in the Dell server I've been working on the last couple of
days, I'm certain you'd agree what a handy tool it is to have.

IIRC this option cost the site £110 or so when we bought the machine
2 years ago. When the system finishes shutting down, the "screen" -
in a window on my laptop - goes blank for only a second and it is
*such* a pleasure when the BIOS logo so quickly comes up. You know
that everything's working fine so far, and that even if the o/s
doesn't load, you're covered - you've got the tools to deal with it.
I'm sure we've all had occasions when we've rebooted the server and
it *hasn't* come up, and we've all had occasions when we've issued
the reboot command and sat there crossing out fingers for several
minutes. I can tell you that this hardware-VNC unit in this machine
is like God's gift of reassurance - especially when you're working on
an important server from across town.

Oh, and besides - lots of people DO have to work on Windows, and a
serial console is naff all good to those unfortunates.

> Some that look promising:
>
> http://www.nextag.com/usb-to-vga-adapter/search-html
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/06/08/add_a_monitor_using_usb/
>
> http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/VGA_To_USB_Adapter.html

These still need a monitor. I kinda like the idea of these - they've
been around for a while - for ad-hoc dual-head uses, for hanging a
monitor off a plastic ADSL router or just for silly-large multi-head
japes. But convenience aside they solve few problems that would be
beyond the capabilities of a handful of old PCI graphics cards.

Stroller.