[mythtv-users] Reconnecting an old antenna

Marc Sherman msherman at projectile.ca
Thu Dec 20 19:49:03 UTC 2007

I've got an old antenna tower (probably left over from the 70s) next to
my house, that I plan to reconnect as soon as my shiny new HDHomeRun
arrives. The antennas (uhf/vhf) are still mounted at the top of the
tower, but the cables were all cut years ago. So I'll need to connect
new cables to the antenna, and run them inside to my server room in the
basement.

A few questions:

- What cable do I use? RG-6?

- Is there a max run-length for that?

- What about grounding? Is it safe to run that cable straight into the
house, or does it need to be connected to ground somewhere? Or is the
antenna tower itself enough grounding to be safe from lightning?

- Is there anything I need to pay attention to reusing a very old
antenna? The tech hasn't really changed all that much in decades, right?

Thanks,
- Marc