[mythtv-users] OT - VGA -> USB - NOT - USB -> VGA

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:32:44 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 1:55 PM, Tony Baca <cfr131 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/07, Trey Thompson <treythompson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've been having a very hard time finding such a beast.  Then I
> > figured, hey, who better than the video experts with Myth!!!  :)
> >
> > I'm looking for an adapter that will take VGA and convert it to USB,
> > or something similar, for video display.  Why would I do something so
> > crazy?
>

> Not exacly what you asked for, but you use a VGA to TV converter
> http://usbonline.en.alibaba.com/product/50400787/52306528/Cable_Series/VGA_to_TV_Converter_S_Video_Cable_RCA_OUT_Cable_Adapter.html
>
> and then use a USB capature device like the Convertx
> http://www.plextor.com/ENGLISH/products/TV402U.htm
> conected to your second computer (notebook) to view.
>

> What kind of servers are these, and what's your budget? We use iLo cards
on our HPs and DRAC cards on our Dells - they're cards with RJ45 outputs
that allow you to access the K/V/M over an IP connection. It's a direct
connection to the console so you see the server as if you were sitting in
front of it, instead of relying on the OS layer like VNC. The Dell DRACs
allow you to mount install media over the network, so you could install an
OS from your desk with the CD in your local drive (or ISO, or memory stick,
etc). I don't know what the iLos cost because they're built in, but the
DRACs run about $200 per server.