[mythtv-users] [OT, again] digital TV antennae (was Re: OT: Digital signal bands - Was: Horrible Audio Problems on Video Glitch)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 20 18:53:50 UTC 2007

On 12/20/2007 01:34 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/20/2007 02:29 AM, Justin The Cynical wrote:
>
>> Mitch Gore wrote:
>>
>>> Thats the antenna that i started with as well.  I got terrible reception.
>>> You want something with an amplifier.
>>>
>>> I have this one.  WOW has the price come down!
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PHDTV3-Indoor-Powered-Antenna/dp/B000B58VNM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_2
>>>
>>> With the old one i got 45% signal strength with the new one i get 95%.
>>>
>>> I mounted it in the corner of my hose on the ceiling in my closet.  works
>>> great.  and you dont need the bunny ears spread.  that only for analog.
>> Kind of off topic, but the part about the rabbit ears is not correct.
>>
>> As you might know, those are the VHF antennas.  I have one or two
>> stations in my area (Portland Oregon area) that broadcast the digital
>> signal on the high VHF band.
> I think what he's trying to say is that nearly all digital channels are
> broadcast in the UHF range, so they're only necessary if you desire one
> of the few VHF digital channels.

Sorry, this has been bouncing around in my mind since I posted the

And, really, the reason that many people think that the "rabbit ears"
are analog only is because the industry decided that since nearly all
digital channels are broadcast in the UHF spectrum, they can make these
new "special" antennae that are UHF-only and call them "digital TV
antennae" to make the consumer think they're something special and
different and that they're better (or even, in some consumers's minds,
required) for digital TV.  Often--since they don't have the VHF
antenna--these "digital TV antennae" are cheaper than equivalent "analog
TV antennae," so the consumer thinks he is getting something better for
less money, making it a great deal.  Whereas, in reality, an analog TV
antenna would be a better deal and more capable--as it can attempt to
pull in channels, whether analog or digital, from the VHF spectrum.

My guess is the reason that the OP has a UHF-only antenna is because it
said, "digital TV antenna."  I'd also guess that if Mitch wasn't just
oversimplifying his statement, he too was confused by the industry's use
of the term "digital TV antenna".  So, Bryan, if you ended up with a
"digital" antenna (UHF only) because that's what the salesman said you
needed, I'd take it back to the store and complain that it's
mis-marked/broken/non-functional in your area because of WBBM's
broadcasting their digital signal on frequency 3 in the VHF spectrum.
There's no reason you should have to pay for that antenna if you were
told it would work since it won't work for your needs.  Even if you made
your decision based on the product markings on the box, I'd argue that
it's mis-marked/makes invalid claims/...

Good luck getting a new antenna without having to pay for the industry's
deception.

Mike