[mythtv-users] Horrible Audio Problems on Video Glitch

Bryan Murphy bryan.murphy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 15:09:36 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 7:57 AM, Bill Omer <bill.omer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having this exact same problem.  It's gotten so bad that any show
> I record on my hd3000, I also make one of my pvr-250's record the
> analog version.  It's a really ... really bad sound, and makes me
> avoid watching hd.
>
> I started out with this:
> http://mythic.tv/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=48&osCsid=0c4bdbaf495bc371e874ac6a20e7025b
>
> Then I bought this amplified antenna:
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103916
>
> I guess its an improvement on some channels, but I still get it pretty bad.
>

> As an alternative to using an antenna, I've been thinking about
> upgrading to digital cable and using firewire.  But I've read that its
> not the most stable option right now, so I'm leary.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bill Omer

I did the firewire thing for a long time.  It worked OK at the
beginning, but eventually it stopped working for me (I think Comcast
did something funky with one of the updates to the cable box, or maybe
some Ubuntu update mucked up the firewire layer).  Anyway, when it
worked it worked great but MythTV crashed very frequently.  It's been
well over a year since I last tried so things may have gotten better,
but I don't have Comcast anymore (nor do I want it).

As a temporary work around, I pointed mythvideo at the directory I use
to store the recordings, setup mythvideo to use mplayer, and am now
using that to watch the recorded videos.  I had to teach my fiancee
how to decode the file names, I'm not entirely sure she got it.  We'll
find out soon enough. :)

It's far from ideal, but it might be good enough to get you through
until we can find a real solution.

Bryan