[mythtv-users] Slight Pauses in Playback/Live TV

Tim Sawyer mythtv at calidris.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 11:10:06 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I've just built my first MythTV box, and it almost works perfectly.  Love the
functionality when compared to a commercial solution.  I just have a couple
of small issues left to iron out.  I'm using Mythbuntu.

My hardware:

Jetway J7F2 mini-itx motherboard, no fan, 1.2Ghz
Hauppauge Nova-T-500 dual DVB-T card
Brand New 500Gb Seagate IDE drive, ext3 for root and xfs for video partition
Connected via svideo from the motherboard to a panasonic wide screen TV (CRT)

My main problem is one of slight pauses when watching live TV or playing back
recorded programmes.  I hardly noticed it myself, my other half pointed it
out.  It's particularly noticeable when there is scrolling text, like you
sometimes get at the bottom of the screen on the shopping channels.  It seems
to that some frames are being dropped and there's a slight pause in the
movement of the text.  Our commercial PVR is definitely smoother.

Can anyone point me towards recommended settings for my hardware?  Or suggest
where I start looking to work out what the problem is?

Also, when in mythfrontend (and backend setup) the left hand side of the
screen is missing, so I sometimes can't see checkboxes.  Not a big deal this
one, but would be nice to sort if anyone has any pointers.  I'm using a
widescreen theme.

Many thanks for any pointers,

Tim.