[mythtv-users] screensaver issues

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 19 20:10:50 UTC 2007

Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 3:44 PM, Anduin Withers <awithers at anduin.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks Tom.  I will give this method a try as soon as I get a chance.  It
>>> is possible that mythfrontend is starting before xscreensaver and that
>>> might be my issue.
>> It is possible, xscreensaver support is determined by a call to
>> xscreensaver-command --version returning 0, if xscreensaver is not running
>> when that call is made, it doesn't return 0.
>>
>> --
>> Anduin Withers
>>

> Yup...and it can be a rather elusive problem as well.  Like I said,
> mine appeared to be working fine and always did after rebooting.
> However mythfrontend must start faster after it's already been run,
> and when respawning the frontend's X session, myth almost always beat
> xscreensaver to the punch and would act like it wasn't running.
>
> Tom

Interesting, lately I've been having and DPMS / xscreensaver issue
myself.  When watching recorded program that occasionally require
touching the remote for commercial skip I never have problems with DPMS
or xscreensaver, but with the writers strike and the holiday wasteland
of TV I've been watching more DVDs.  My video card is disconnecting from
my  projector at exactly the 60 min mark.  I don't fade to black before
that, with xscreensaver kicking in, the display just kicks off.

Sometimes hitting a button that activates the OSD bring the screen back
to life and other times I have to kill Myth and restart the app.  It
hasn't happened enough to really nail this down.

I'm either going to turn off DPMS or extend the time to something like 4
hours so that would be beyond my longest continuous viewing time.

This just started happening in the last few months.  I actually suspect
its a problem with the current build of the Ubuntu 7.04 nvidia driver or
xscreensaver rather than Myth, because Myth is properly controlling
xscreensaver from fading to black.

Thanks,
Jon