[mythtv-users] Closed capitioning dropping characters

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Dec 19 16:58:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 21:16 -0600, Craig Huff wrote:
> > Beny Spensieri Jr wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > > I've noticed that when playing back closed captioning, that characters are being dropped during playback.
> > > It starts off well in the beginning, then is seems like the captions can't keep up with the playback, so it drops characters to keep up.
> > > Has anyone else seen this?
>
> FWIW, I have found that I have this problem on multiple channels
> seemingly varying from one episode to the next, even, but always on my
> PVR-350 card, not on either channel of the PVR-500 card.  My solution
> was to demote the 350 card priority by one so it doesn't get used
> unless it has to and it is the last one to be used.  Since doing this,
> I can't recall seeing closed captions corrupted.

There is a bug in the ivtv 1.0 drivers with PVR-250 & PVR-350 cards
which causes closed captions to be lost. If you search this list someone
posted the last version of ivtv where captions work well with the
PVR-250/350. The problem has been reported to Hans over on the ivtv
developer mailing list, but last I heard he needed someone with a
machine in an NTSC country to help him debug the issue.

--- Daniel