[mythtv-users] Commercial flagging / Transcoding

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Dec 18 18:59:34 UTC 2007

Well...

   Once you have multiple backends it becomes a little more
complicated. You can have every one of your Linux boxen  be
slave backends even if they aren't otherwise used for MythTV.
This is a very handy feature of Myth that allows you to exploit
whatever Linux cpus you may have around the home network.

   When my master backend starts to get behind (usually because
I am running mass manual transcode jobs for my DVDs) I will start
up the backend on my main frontend. It's a minimac so that CoreDuo
really puts a dent in the job queue.

   I startup the backend when I need it and shut it down when
it seems to be causing performance issues with playback. Generally,
the master seems to get first crack at jobs. Jobs will be farmed
out to the slave backend(s) if the load on the master is high.

   When I first started playing around with slave backends, I setup
a slave backend on a crappy old laptop that's good enough for playback
but not much else. It didn't do so well transcoding but was more than
adequate for running commflagging jobs. So I just set the appropriate
flag (don't remember where it is) so as it would not run transcoding
jobs.

   I think I set that on the mythweb settings page.

   Anyways, in my experience (and I don't think I really dinkered
with this much beyond the most basic defaults) the master backend
will get assigned jobs first and the others will get work assigned
to them if a backlog forms.