[mythtv-users] WOL Slave Backend only when needed

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Dec 18 05:50:13 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 7:36 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have configured a slave backend that I use as a frontend & SD
> tuner and to run commercial flagging.  In order to save power I am
> trying to configure wol.  I have got the wol part working.  I can
> type wol MAC and it boot the computer.
>
> My goal is to have some intelligence on when the slave should be on.
>
> I want the backend to power on the slave when:
> 1.  when there are commercial flagging jobs.  I want the slave to do
> all flagging.  When my combined FE/BE is flagging i get pre-buffers
> when watching HD so i would prefer it not to ever do it.
> 2.  If there is a schedule conflict that can be resolved with the SD
> tuner power on the slave.
> 3.  optional I want to watch a recording that is stored on the
> slave.  ( i can work around this by storing on a NFS on the backend)
>
> Then when it does done power off.
>
> Is this possible?  How would i got about configuring this in myth?

I don't think Myth can do this with anything built in, unless there
have been changes in SVN in this area.

I've been tinkering with a Perl script I use to wake my slave backend
and power it off when necessary.  It's working fairly well in my
situation but I'm not totally convinced I have all the bugs worked out.