[mythtv-users] How to deal with moving QAM channels?

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 23:12:07 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 12:28 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> At 12:13 PM -0800 12/17/07, Michael Rice wrote:
> >On Dec 17, 2007 3:35 AM, Mark Small <msmall at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> >> This issue is  what has been keeping me from fully employing my QAM tuner
> >> (Avermedia A180) in mythtv.  I'm afraid of my WAF dropping through the
> > > basement after missing recordings due to moving QAM channels.  ...
> >
> >For hdhr anyway I think I could write a script that could detect
> >changes.  I'll probably work on that a bit but since the channels
> >change so infrequently it'll be a little hard to test.
>
> I kept thinking someone else would mention this, but any cable provider offering pay-per-view is likely to have quite a few 'channels' that are there one day and  different the next.  Maybe some providers encrypt these channels but mine doesn't.

Right but most of the channels I care about have a name associated with them:

SCANNING: 123000000 (us-cable:14, us-irc:14)
LOCK: qam256 (ss=98 snq=91 seq=100)
PROGRAM: 1: 0.0 (encrypted)
PROGRAM: 13: 10.1 KOPB-HD
PROGRAM: 14: 10.3 Create
PROGRAM: 15: 10.4 OC

The PPV/OnDemand channels don't.  My plan would be to start with the
channels I care about and check them periodically to see that the name
is still the same and it can be tuned.  If there are changes to these
channels I'd need to investigate.  Of course just being able to tune a
channel (that doesn't have a name) doesn't necessarily mean it is the
same as it used to be.