[mythtv-users] Trouble getting channel icons.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 17 19:47:23 UTC 2007

On 12/17/2007 02:36 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/17/2007 02:16 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>
>> Thanks Dave, I think you have given me enough info to get over the hump
>> and get the icons working. Apparently the master_iconmap.xml file does
>> not have the info necessary to set up the icon logos for the TV stations
>> in my area.
> Might just be that your callsigns are not the same as those used in the
> master_iconmap.xml file.
>>  (to be honest it did find one, but it was for a station that
>> I cannot watch off the air so I never looked at it...but when I saw it
>> in the mysql channel table, that told me that things are working
>> properly, just not filled in.) I found and downloaded the rest of them
>> from lyngsat and I will now dig into mysql (I hate database languages!
>> sigh) and see if I can get it populated with the paths to the icons for
>> each of the TV stations... And you are probably right, I will set this
>> up in a script so it can be rerun if necessary in the future...
>>

> And, really, it's probably a /lot/ easier just to add the local channels
> into master_iconmap.xml if they truly don't exist.  If you open the file
> in a text editor, it's relatively intuitive format that's used.  First,
> search for your local stations using the editor's Find (i.e. searching
> for WKMG would allow you to find things like WKMG-DT and WKMG-DT2, but
> would not have been matched by mythfilldatabase).  If some don't exist,
> just add them to the end of master_iconmap.xml.
>
> Since the SVN trunk version of MythTV won't be using master_iconmap.xml,
> you won't likely have to ever "merge" your changes into an updated
> iconmap, so really there's no reason to create a script--let
> mythfilldatabase do its job.

OK, I should have explained the "relatively intuitive" format of
master_iconmap.xml (since it's not completely intuitive).

In the file, WKMG is configured with two elements:

    <callsigntonetwork>
        <callsign>wkmg</callsign>
        <network>LyngSat-tv/ww/wkmg_orlando</network>
    </callsigntonetwork>

and

    <networktourl>
        <network>LyngSat-tv/ww/wkmg_orlando</network>
        <url>[LyngSat]/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg</url>
    </networktourl>

based on the fact that the URI for the WKMG logo exists at:

http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/logo/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg

The <network> simply has to be unique in the file and must match for the
<callsigntonetwork> and <networktourl> elements (so using a format as
derived from the URI will ensure uniqueness without having to search
through the file).

Note, also, that lyngsat-logo now offers a hi-res version at:

http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/hires/ww/wkmg_orlando.png

so, by changing the "/tv/" to "/hires/" in the <url> element of the
<networktourl> element, you can get hi-res versions of your icons.

Mike