[mythtv-users] How to choose the XV port for mythfrontend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 17 18:30:31 UTC 2007

On 12/17/2007 07:04 AM, Tino Keitel wrote:
> how can I choose the XV port that mythfrontend uses? The intel driver
> supports Textured Video and Video Overlay. Mythfrontend chooses
> Textured Video, maybe becuase it is the first in the list. However, as
> I still have problems with tearing video, I'd like to try the Video
> Overlay port. Can I do this without patching the source?

Nope.  http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/14479 .

That means that the fix is in SVN trunk (that part of mythtv-vid was
merged to trunk), but think very carefully about updating just for this
as a) you can't go back (except by restoring a DB backup from before the
upgrade), and b) you really need to read through all the messages in the
-dev and -commits list since 0.20 was released (a year ago) to figure
out how to make it work because there are a /lot/ of major differences
and we expect those using the unreleased development version to figure
things out themselves.  When 0.21 is released, enough people will be
going through the same upgrade that the information will be much more
easily available--the wiki will be updated, a large number of users on
the -users list and -users IRC channel will know the process and be able
to help you, and the new version will have had wide testing on a large
number of systems/configurations, so it's more likely to work on your
system.

Living with the tearing for a couple more months until there's a new
release is definitely a /much/ easier approach.  Even back-porting the
patch from the changeset I mentioned (
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/14479?format=diff&new=14479 ) to
work with 0.20-fixes and compiling yourself is probably much easier than
updating to trunk.  (Though I still highly recommend the couple months
of patience approach.)

Mike