[mythtv-users] recording not starting on time - one cause

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Dec 16 21:50:46 UTC 2007

On Dec 16, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Chris Isip wrote:

> In my effort to get rid of the ivtv buffers full errors in dmesg, I
> have made a couple of conclusions.  Running optimize_mythdb.pl and
> backing up the mythtv database will result in this error.
> Furthermore, backing up the myth database with mysqldump causes the
> server to be unresponsive for the duration of the backup which means
> no playback possible on any frontends and no recording will start.

Yes, both of these things lock the tables so they aren't changed
during the operation.  (Changing the tables during a backup, for
example, would result in an inconsistent backup.)

If the time mysqldump takes is a problem, you might want to use
mysqlhotcopy instead.  It makes a backup by copying the table files.
The database still has to be locked, but for a much shorter time.  The
disadvantage is it's not portable like a mysqldump backup.  If you
have to reload the backup, you need to do it on the same version of
MySQL.