[mythtv-users] Adding new windows pc's to Myth setup?

Nemo Inis nemoinis at telus.net
Sat Dec 15 01:44:31 UTC 2007

On Dec 12, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Todd wrote:
>
>> As a parent, I'd think VERY carefully about putting individual
>> computers in a minor child's bedroom that are internet connected.  I
>> think any child advocate or anyone who's got a realistic view of
>> internet security and the landscape for minors would beat their shoe
>> on the table and advising against it.
>
> My kids have had computers in their rooms since they were very young.
> I started with a proxy server to monitor their usage and now rely on
> Mac OS X to tell me what they're doing. It does a great job of
> blocking web sites, only lets them use iChat with people I've
> approved, email with people I've approved, logs them out at bed time
> and doesn't allow them back on until after they should be done with
> getting ready for school in the morning. I've also been known to spy
> on them with Screen Sharing. :)
>
> I'm sure there's stuff like this for Windows, but I just don't trust
> it.

You do realize that all they need to do to circumvent all that is boot
from a live CD or USB stick?
If the kids have been using computers since they were very young they
should know that by now... Certainly some of my clients' kids knew it.
There is no security if there is physical access to a machine.