[mythtv-users] wake-on-lan works after windows shutdown, but not after linux

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 08:38:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a motherboard ASUS P5KC with Slackware 12 and XP. I have two
other Asus motherboards with Linux only (also Slackware), and
wake-on-lan works.

When I shutdown from Windows, wake-on-lan is working without any
problems. but after I shutdown from Linux, there is no way to wake up
the box. Kernel is 2.6.23.1 (custom) and the ethernet adapter is using
module "atl1".

lspci:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit
Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)

ethtool's flag "g" is turned on:

root at mythtv:/home/erol# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: umbg
        Wake-on: umbg
        Link detected: yes

I tried putting only "g" for Wake-on, it does not help. I read
somewhere about trying to use all flags ("umbg"), but that also does
not help.

Does someone have an idea what might be the cause for this problem?
BIOS cannot be the problem, because wake-on-lan is working from
Windows.

Thanks a lot.

M.