[mythtv-users] DVI to A/V Receiver HDMI?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:49:23 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 10:19 PM, Andy Poling <andy at realbig.com> wrote:
> Is there a way for my MythFE to co-exist with other A/V sources and a modern
> A/V receiver switching it all?
>
> -Andy

I use a DVI->HDMI adapter with my Onkyo SR-674 that does upconversion.
 Works great.. although I couldn't get it to play right with the full
1366x768 res of my screen, but I'm happy with 720p.  I also can't get
it yet to work when the machine starts up while the received is on
another input (Xorg thinks no monitor is connected) -- I'm still
monkeying around with the CustomEDID and ConnectedMonitor settings.
Supposedly this is doable.

The only drawback to be wary of is the upconversion, which has little
to do with Myth but more to do with what else you want to put on it.
I was looking for the "ultimate switching solution" too, until I
realized the upconverting scaler in my particular Onkyo is crap.  Now
I feel like going back to putting certain inputs on direct Component
(namely the Wii).  But unfortunately the TV is not mounted on the wall
and I don't want to run more wires than the two I have going to it now
(1 power, 1 HDMI).  :(  So buy a good scaling receiver and you'll be
set.

- Willy