[mythtv-users] Centos 5, Firewire Capture Success?

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Thu Dec 13 20:46:49 UTC 2007

On 12/13/07, Jeff Coffler <jeff-list-mythusers at taltos.com> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Jacob Steenhagen wrote:
>
> Is the plus kernel a requirement for doing firewire capture? Or did you
> update to it for other reasons?
>
> Update to the plus kernel is a requirement.  The default RHEL5 kernel (and
> thus the CentOS kernel) does not ship with firewire enabled.
>
> That said, however, this is the easiest solution (to me), for the
> following reasons:
>
> 1. CentOS is MUCH more "stable" in the sense that you're not looking at
> retiring the O/S every six months,
> 2. Fedora required mucking because the kernel firewire stack was
> incompatible with the tools, so you needed to make more changes (and do more
> fiddling) to make things work on Fedora,
> 3. Enabling the Plus kernel is essentially a two line change (well
> documented on the CentOS wiki) in the yum configuration file.
>
> The firewire stack in CentOS 5 is otherwise compatible with the tools, so
> no other changes are needed - it "just works".

I currently run CentOS 5.1 with the stock kernel. Would the KMDL at
http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/ieee1394/ provide the same functionality as the
plus kernel? I'm mostly asking for future knowledge. Right now I don't have
any need to have Firewire, but you never know about the future :).

And I agree whole-heartily with reason #1... it's why when I rebuilt my
mythbox I used CentOS. I had been running Myth on Fedora Core 4 and while I
always wanted to upgrade, I never found the time to muck with a working
system.... then along came the Zap2It/Schedules direct fiasco. I never did
end up upgrading that box to 0.20.2 as I couldn't get the packages for FC4
anymore... I ended up with a perl script that downloaded the data from
Schedules Direct then dumped the two extra 0's.

I suppose I have no real reason not to go to the plus repo... I just have
been avoiding it for some reason.

--
http://jacob.steenhagen.us