[mythtv-users] MythVideo: file name sorting oddity

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 20:44:46 UTC 2007

On 12/12/07, Ryan Pisani <mythtv at frouse3.homelinux.com> wrote:

> I too have noticed this oddity, but have never put much stock into.
> However, I believe this has to do with the default sorting methods of
> mysql.
>

> mysql> select title from videometadata where filename like "%Back To The
> Future%";
> +-----------------------------+
> | title                       |
> +-----------------------------+
> | Back to the Future Part II  |
> | Back to the Future Part III |
> | Back to the Future          |
> +-----------------------------+
> 3 rows in set (0.01 sec)
>
> I'm not sure why this is, as it definitely goes against the rules we've
> all learned in sorting/alphabetizing. I'm not sure if this can be
> configured somewhere, but it might be worth a look.

Order in databases is undefined unless you use the ORDER BY clause.
Records are ordered the way the rows are read from the table, which
may vary depending on the access method the database decides to use
(eg/ tablescan, index scan, etc).

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent