[mythtv-users] Assistance with video card problem (Please point, me in the right direction)

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Wed Dec 12 03:54:49 UTC 2007

 From beww at beww.org  Mon Dec 10 02:02:54 2007
From: beww at beww.org (Brian Wood)
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:02:54 -0700
Subject: [mythtv-users] Assistance with video card problem (Please point
 me in the right direction)

John Nissley wrote:
 > I know this is not a forum to answer these types of questions but if you
 > could point me in the correct direction I would greatly appreciate it.
 >
 > I just purchased a MachSpeed VSNV-939 mother board with an athlon socket
 > 939 x2 64 bit cpu.  My plan was to make this my master back end that
 > will also serve up video to the main TV in the house.  The problem I am
 > running into is that the PCIE geforce 8500GT video card is not liking
 > the nvidia drivers.  I am able to get the system up and running on
 > Fedora 8 2.6.23.8-63.fc8 build and everything works fine until I install
 > the nvidia drivers.
 >
 > I have tried to use the shell script from nvidia and the modle from
 > livna but no matter what I try the computer locks up when it is time to
 > engage the nvidia driver.

You probably don't want to hear this, but the easiest and fastest
solution would probably be to put a much less powerful graphics card in
the unit.

I've read that there are problems with the 8500 cards and the Linux
drivers, but I didn't pay attention.

Unless you're gaming on this machine, I'd seriously consider something
less power-hungry and more commonly used with Myth systems.

OK, everyone with a working 8500 setup may now flame me :-)

beww

Can I get some assistance on which video card will work for mythtv and
motherboards with PCI express slots.  It seems that all you can get
anymore are motherboards with PCIe slots and most of the video cards are
the gaming type and there appears to be some issues with them and the
nvidia driver.  I have a 8500GT and even though it says it is supported
the computer always locks up after I load the nvidia driver.  I am
running the 64 bit version of Fedora but I do not think that has
anything to do with it.

So if you have a PCI express video card that is working for you and it
is still being made please let me know what it is so I can get one that
works this time.

Thanks

believed to be clean.