[mythtv-users] SageTV HD Extender STX-HD100

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Tue Dec 11 19:42:43 UTC 2007

Mitch Gore [mitchell.gore at gmail.com] wrote:
> Anyone know if this box will be able to be reverse engineered to work with
> Myth?  This seems like the ultimate STB to work with HTPCs.  It almost makes
> me want to move to Sage TV just for this but im crossing my fingers that
> MythTV can engineer this guy to run a MythTV FE.

Indeed.  If it is as good as it sounds on paper, it would be the
ultimate HD FE.  Silent, low-power, and capable of passing an HD
datastream unmolested to the TV for it to scale or deinterlace as
needed.  I'm looking forward to seeing some comments from users who
have them in their forums.  Given the eager beavers who opted for
2-day shipping, they should start showing up tomorrow.

I think it is more than a UPNP client.  Or at least they are smarter
than Myth about UPNP.  From what I've read, the "STV" extensions (like
commercial skipping) will work on their media extenders.

> Would this be legal to do with this?   If not there pry wont be much support
> from the MythTV devs.

If nobody reverse engineers it, or RE is deemed a no-no, then I
predict at least one defection to Sage (me).  Especially now that they
have a Linux version.  I'd really miss Myth's timestretch, but having
a silent appliance FE which is able to playback perfect HD *and* do
commercial skipping would be worth it.

Drew