[mythtv-users] Pinnacle Remote Kit MCE USB with ir Blaster

Scott Pleavin scott.pleavin at rogers.com
Tue Dec 11 18:16:40 UTC 2007

Fredrik Hallgarde wrote:
> Scott Pleavin skrev:

>>> [deletia]

>>>    What makes you think some sort of patch is the issue? Gutsy is just
>>> a very new version of a distro that's intention is to automate stuff
>>> like this so it isn't gnarly anymore.
>>>
>>>     This is probably just good packaging. LIRC has always been really
>>> bad when it comes to packaging.
>>>
>>>     The PVR150 MCE transceiver worked automagically on Ubuntu 7.10
>>> once I plugged it in and rebooted the system. I had setup LIRC but
>>> I had set it up for another IR blaster. Everything "just worked"
>>> when I plugged in the MCE tranceiver.
>>>
>>>     Although I did have to tweak my lircrc files. I had mine setup
>>> for another brand of remote and there were not consistent button
>>> naming between the two (things like 1 vs. one ).

>> Need to identify the problem first.
>>
>> two machines running Gutsy. Old notebook, Intel based, USB 1 interface
>> and the remote works. The other a AMD 6000+, USB 2 interface and the
>> remote doesn't work. The output from mode2 on the notebook looks
>> reasonable, the mode2 output on the new machine is grossly different.
>>

> I agree with Scott that before any patch is submitted to LIRC or
> elsewhere we need to identify the problem.
>
> My understanding was that Scott was able to use the pinnacle remote in
> the laptop AFTER patching the driver.
> If it worked in 7.10 on the laptop without patching the driver then I
> misunderstood.
>
> Scott, did you have to patch the driver on the laptop or did the
> Pinnacle remote "just work"?
>
> Fredrik

I applied the same change to lirc_mceusb2.c on both machines and
recompiled. The change is:

in the lirc_mceusb2.c file add these lines (line numbers are approximate):

at line 133:

#define VENDOR_PINNACLE         0x2304

at line 175:

{ USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_PINNACLE, 0x0225) }, /* Pinnacle Systems, Inc. PCTV Remote USB RC6 */

at line 460:

case 0x90: