[mythtv-users] No Sound since FC8 Upgrade

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 20:27:51 UTC 2007

On Dec 9, 2007 8:46 AM, Dave Ansell <dave at theansells.com> wrote:

> No such error messages.
>
> Further investigation with mplayer reveals that
>   -ao oss works fine
>   -ao alsa  doesnt work -various config error messages.
>
> Unfortunately I dount understand enough about linux sound to understand
> what
> this really means :-(

I had an issue with F8 where some sounds worked ( system-config-soundcard )
and some did
not ( embedded video from firefox ) I saw something that mentioned /dev/snd
/dev/audio and /dev/dsp
permissions... so I did a
chmod -R uog+rw /dev/dsp /dev/audio /dev/snd
and my sound issues seem to have been resolved.

I don't know if any of that is dynamically generated at boot time... and
I'll have to do this
again... or if those are static directories....

Now if a hacker ever hacks in... they will be able to send bad sounds over
my
sound card... but if they get in and can do that... I'll have other things
that I need
to worry about.

jack