[mythtv-users] High disk activity

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Dec 10 19:34:15 UTC 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 9:44 AM, Wolfgang Grunewald <wmgrunewald at web.de> wrote:

> Chris Pinkham wrote:
>
> > * On Sun Dec 09, 2007 at 11:34:02PM +0100, Wolfgang Grunewald wrote:
> > >   http://tinyurl.com/22xppv
> >
> > There's some woman blocking the view in this graph.
>
> Sorry for that! The MythTV graph shows constant disk activity
> while the "cat while playing with mplayer" graph just shows
> some high writing peaks every few seconds (besides that
> there's no activity at all).

There is more going on than just "cat with mplayer" in myth.  Off the top of
my head you have:

1.  MySQL database reads and writes for the seektable while recording
2.  Any logging being done by the program
3.  Reading and writing the actual recording
4.  Any commercial flagging you have enabled

All that adds up.  Having run Myth for a while now, I *strongly* recommend
separating your database and logs from your recording drive if you haven't
done it already.  It has made my system much more resiliant with regards to
how many streams I can handle.  Currently, on a lowly Athlon 2000, I can
record 2 HD, 2 SD, watch any stream, and run two commflagging jobs all
without disk issues.

Kevin