[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Larry Sanderson larry.sanderson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 19:32:24 UTC 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007 01:44:55 pm jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
> > Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >> Since when is the vendor responsible for misinterpretations of
> >> fact caused by the consumer's ignorance?
> >
> > Since some lawyers figured out that they can get judges (also
> > lawyers) to go along with this sort of nonsense.
> >
> > I suspect you will find that the lawyers involved got a lot more
> > out of the "settlement" than any "misled" consumers will.
> >
> > Personally I suspect that no true consumer was really "harmed",
> > which is supposed to be the justification for legal action.
>
>     Well, if all the petrol companies got together and decided to
> redefine the gallon I guess you really wouldn't be harmed by that
> either.
>
> [deletia]
>
>     If you pulled the same crap as Seagate and got caught you would
> be doing hard time.

I think I would be more sympathetic with you if it was only Seagate that
did this, and they just started doing it recently before the lawsuit
was filed.

Take a look at the "History" and "Consumer confusion" sections of this
wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

The first hard drive using MB as 10^6 was done in 1974.  That's 33
years... It has long ceased to be a marketing-ploy/fraud, and has
become the lingua franca of storage devices.  Seagate should not be
penalized for a decision made long before they even existed.

-Larry