[mythtv-users] Assistance with video card problem (Please point me in the right direction)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 10 02:02:54 UTC 2007

John Nissley wrote:
> I know this is not a forum to answer these types of questions but if you
> could point me in the correct direction I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> I just purchased a MachSpeed VSNV-939 mother board with an athlon socket
> 939 x2 64 bit cpu.  My plan was to make this my master back end that
> will also serve up video to the main TV in the house.  The problem I am
> running into is that the PCIE geforce 8500GT video card is not liking
> the nvidia drivers.  I am able to get the system up and running on
> Fedora 8 2.6.23.8-63.fc8 build and everything works fine until I install
> the nvidia drivers.
>
> I have tried to use the shell script from nvidia and the modle from
> livna but no matter what I try the computer locks up when it is time to
> engage the nvidia driver.

You probably don't want to hear this, but the easiest and fastest
solution would probably be to put a much less powerful graphics card in
the unit.

I've read that there are problems with the 8500 cards and the Linux
drivers, but I didn't pay attention.

Unless you're gaming on this machine, I'd seriously consider something
less power-hungry and more commonly used with Myth systems.

OK, everyone with a working 8500 setup may now flame me :-)

beww