[mythtv-users] High disk activity

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 9 22:40:45 UTC 2007

Wolfgang Grunewald wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I recently installed MythTV (0.20.2 14972) for the first time
> and noticed very high disk utilization on my SATA hard disk
> when watching TV:
>
>   http://tinyurl.com/22xppv
>
> When I record the stream "manually" using
>
>   cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > mystream.ts
>   (and watching this stream with mplayer at the same time)
>
> there's _much_ lower disk utilization:
>
>   http://tinyurl.com/26x2oj
>
> (Looks like the HD cache is not being used at all.)
>
> CPU load is not a problem, 10% in both cases.
>
> What can I do to reduce the high disk activity?

First, decide if you really want/need to do that.

Myth is doing more than just cat-ing and mplaying a file, and
significant disk activity is normal when watching live TV.a problem?

What makes you think it is a problem? Is it working OK?

I'm also not sure who the young lady in uniform is, but I think I'd be
willing to join whatever side she is on :-)

beww