[mythtv-users] Playback issues with myth frontend over a wireless network

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Dec 9 21:24:09 UTC 2007

Charles H. Chapman wrote:
> Categorically untrue.  I am streaming HD over wireless G (up to 1080i
> material, the highest resolution source I have available) with no
> problems at all -- no pauses, hicups, out-of-sync audio or anything
> else.  It's all a matter of 1) selecting wireless adapters that are well
> supported in Linux (like the Intel chipset in my frontend) and 2)
> configuring things properly.

This is true, but configuring "properly" for this application may be
impossible if you live in an apartment complex.  For this to work, there
can't be any wireless networks in range on the channel you're using, OR
on any overlapping channels.  802.11 signals are three channels wide, so
if you're in an apartment complex or dense housing development it may be
impossible to find a clear one.

You also cannot have any 802.11b clients on your 802.11g network if you
expect to get this kind of bandwidth out of it.