[mythtv-users] HowTo avoid password nagging

Karl Reichert Karl-Trampe at gmx.de
Sun Dec 9 19:37:34 UTC 2007

> On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 18:15 +0100, Karl Reichert wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I just installed Mythbuntu 7.10 and have a problem:
> >
> > I'm connecting my machine with network manager (wireless, RT73USB) to
> > my network. On startup, gnome-keyring asks me for the password
> > (because my WPA-password is stored there).
> >
> > As I want to use mythbuntu without keyboard, this really sucks.
> >
> > I found some hints how to automatically unlock gnome-keyring, but this
> > 1) works only, if you do not login automatically into GDM
> > 2) is buggy in Ubuntu 7.10
> >
> (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo#head-92c70cd59ecb39c8645a88a26134115395c7d904)
> >
> > I tried to set up my WLAN stick using command line (wpa_supplicant),
> > but this is not supported by RT73USB driver shipped with Ubuntu.
> >
> > So I'm looking for a way to use network manager, but still login
> > automatically into both, GDM and gnome-keyring.
> >
> > Thanks for your advise
>
> Here is my advice:
>
> Do a hard config using /etc/network/interfaces, then network manager
> will just ignore the interface, the gnome keyring will not get involved.
>
> You will want to follow instructions in there:
>
> /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.modes.gz
>
> Nico

Well, the problem is, that rt73usb isn't working with wpa_supplicant with this kernel (2.6.22-14). See http://www.dlutt.de/forum/blog.php?b=7&goto=next for details.

So I really have to use network manager. Is there any other way to save the WPA-Password, e.g. in a txt-file, and pass this file to network manager? Are there any other options how to start gnome-keyring without a password?

Thanks
Karl
--
von Karl Reichert