[mythtv-users] Gotchas replacing FC6 disk with new one?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Dec 8 21:50:16 UTC 2007

Craig Huff writes:

> Dec  7 18:54:18 localhost kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
> Dec  7 18:54:18 localhost kernel: SCSI device sda: write cache:
> enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
> Dec  7 18:54:18 localhost kernel:  sda: unknown partition table
> Dec  7 18:54:18 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
>
> So it appears to me that it's working and recognized.  Here's what happened
> when I tried fdisk before and after using dd:
> [root at penguin ~]# fdisk /dev/sda
>
> Unable to read /dev/sda
> [root at penguin ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
> dd: writing `/dev/sda': Input/output error

Now, does anything further get logged to /var/log/messages, at this point?

> Yet, with all this, I still can't figure out how to make this drive usable.
> Should I take the system down and put the jumper back in to throttle
> the drive back to SATA 150 speed instead of SATA 300?
>
> Is there something else we haven't discussed yet?

No. Unless an alleged input/output error on '/dev/sda' is confirmed by
additional /var/log/messages entries that report an actual physical disk
error, compile your report: kernel level, chipset (the output of lspci -v -v
-v, dmidecode, and dmesg), and put it into bugzilla.