[mythtv-users] Gotchas replacing FC6 disk with new one?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 18:04:08 UTC 2007

Ok...

Things aren't going so well.  I can't seem to get any traction with the new
disk drive.  This is my first SATA drive; the one I'm currently running on is
an IDE drive.

I have tried qtparted, gparted, parted, and fdisk to no avail.  I cannot get
a partition defined on the new drive, much less get it formatted for use.

I am running on an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo which has four (4) SATA II ports
courtesy of the nvidia southbridge and another four (4) SATA (*not* SATA II)
ports supported by a Silicon Image RAID controller.

Since I wanted to use the best performance, I took out the jumper block on
the drive that limited it to SATA I speed.  I have connected it to the first
nvidia SATA II port and rebooted the system.  Checking /dev, afterwards,
/dev/sda has been added.  When I tried parted interactively, here's what I got:

[root at penguin ~]# parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 1.8.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) mkpartfs primary ext2 0 500107
Error: Unable to open /dev/sda - unrecognised disk label.
(parted) mklabel bsd
Error: Input/output error during write on /dev/sda
Retry/Ignore/Cancel? c
(parted) q

Now what do I do?