[mythtv-users] Switch from FC6 to CentOS5

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Dec 8 14:37:56 UTC 2007

Thom Paine wrote:
> Has anyone pulled off an 'upgrade' from FC6 to CentOS5?
>
> I'm going to downgrade my MBE from a combo to a BE only and want a bit
> more stability out of it.
>
> I'd like to switch to CentOS5 for this.
>
> Thanks.

Two weeks ago, I made the switch from FC6 to CentOS5. It was relatively
painless.

Since some of the packages in FC6 are newer than than the packages in
CentOS5, I did the switch as a reinstall rather than an upgrade.

I backed up my databases (LDAP and MySQL) by dumping them, because I
figured that it would be more reliable than backing up the binary
databases. For a MySQL database used for just MythTV you can follow the
instructions here
<http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5>. In addition, I
backed up my other configuration files. I did not reformat /home or
/var/video (my MythTV recordings partition), so I backed up the
configuration files by copying them to /home.

The only minor difference between FC6 and CentOS5 was that I had to
install kmod-xfs from the Extras repository in order to have the XFS
file system support that I needed for my /var/video partition. Also,
since it was not recognized during install due to lack of XFS support, I
had to add /var/video to /etc/fstab manually.