[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase temporary tables do not exist (SOLVED)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Dec 8 01:40:07 UTC 2007

On 12/07/2007 08:14 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Well that might provide an explanation of how things went pear-shaped. I
>>> don't remember what the perms were but when I went checking, they were
>>> NOT drwxrwxrwxt... Possibly I inadvertently borked that...which lead to
>>> all of the other (self-inflicted!) pain.  Dang, I hate it when that
>>> happens...
>> That t would be the 1 in 1777 at
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/300986#300986 .
>>> Interestingly, neither the laptop nor the desktop server have the sticky
>>> bit set. The fileserver does however.
>>>
>> TTBOMK, that is broken according to the File system Hierarchy Standard
>> (FHS).  The sticky bit prevents users from removing another user's files
>> (only owner and superuser can remove the files), so MySQL relies on it
>> for security of the Unix socket file (see the second link in my post above).
>>
> Under Fedora, the mysql.sock socket is placed in the /var/lib/mysql
> folder and owned by mysql.

OK, but it seems that MySQL uses the same permissions requirement for
security of temp tables (and probably much more), too.  It's quite
possible that the manual talks about all the places where /tmp is used
and requires the sticky bit to be set, but I didn't read it all to solve
your issue...  Just figured pointing you to one location which said to
use different permissions than you used would get you started down the
path to finding all the details you wanted.  ;)

> The desktop is running Fedora 6...installed I don't know when. The
> server is Fedora8rc2 with the OS on a separate drive from the storage
> partition and I don't play with it at all. so it hasn't been corrupted.

Hmmm.  Guess the standard isn't that specific on the permissions.  That
said, I would never trust putting a file into /tmp on a system whose
/tmp does not have the sticky bit set.

Mike