[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Dec 7 20:08:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 08:52:08PM -0600, griz_quattro wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> <snippage>
> >> Seagate is giving partial refunds if you bought one of their hard drives
> >> in the past two years because they falsely advertised the storage
> >> capacity. I ran into this issue when i bought a few 500gb drives only to
> >> find that they only actually have 466gb of storage. Just passing this
> >> along to my myth friends who have helped me out in the past few months.
> >> -Steve
> <snippage>
> > All well and good, perhaps.
> <snippage>
> > I suspect that the attorneys involved will make more on this than the
> > "victims".
> >
> > Welcome to the Litigious States of America.
> >
> > (Of course my real complaint is that I'm one of those who never keeps
> > receipts, so I lose out here :-)
> >
> > beww
>
> Seagate has had a good run of drives for the past few years and
> I can not complain. Penalizing a manufacturer for the buyer's
> ignorance is nuts. It's as irresponsible as it is incredible.

  No. Kilobyte has been a well established term of art for DECADES.

  It is intended to be computationally convenient.

  Once upon a time, SI units were intended to be computationally
convenient rather than merely arbitrary. Seagate chose to be
slimy about this and got caught.

  It's like getting caught in a speed trap.

> I won't apply for a refund, even though the receipts are in the file.
> Litigious States of America: where buffoonery is meagerly rewarded.

  ...or the United Gates of America where anything to earn
a buck is not only tolerated but encouraged.